Meade LX80 Series Telescopes
Now you no longer have to make the difficult decision between the ease of setup and operation of an altazimuth mount or the long duration imaging capability of a German equatorial mount. Meade’s LX80 Multi-mount is the most innovative and versatile mid-range telescope system available anywhere.
Meade LX80 Multi-Mount: Three Mounts in One!
The LX80 Multi-mount operates in three modes: German equatorial, depicted at right, single OTA altazimuth, and dual OTA altazimuth, depicted below. The LX80's computerized GoTo mount is controlled with the amazing AudioStar handbox with Meade’s exclusive Astronomer Inside audio descriptions of the objects you are viewing. Setting up in any mode is quick and easy. The equatorial mode, depicted at right, is preferred for astrophotography with instrument loads of up to 40 pounds. Meade’s proprietary SmartDrive™ provides periodic error correction that dramatically reduces tracking errors.
Meade LX80 Multi-Mount Features
The LX80 brings together an astonishing array of technological and mechanical achievements that provide the kind of innovation and quality that only Meade can deliver. The LX80 is built around a solid aluminum structure, with two large, tapered roller bearings that handle radial and thrust loads on each axis to carry larger loads. Its precision worm gear drives on both axes deliver smooth, accurate motion. This one-of-a-kind, three mode system features:
- Industry-standard Vixen Saddle and Dovetail: The LX80 features the industry-standard Vixen saddle and dovetail bar, providing an open platform capable of supporting many other optical tubes.
- Heavy-duty mount: Rock-solid, stable platform with precision worm gear drives on both axes for both visual and astrophotographic requirements.
- Sectional counterweight shaft: Allows for selecting the ideal shaft length for counterbalancing or dual-tube configurations.
- Multi-mount adjustment: Quickly change between alt-az mode and German Equatorial mode.
- Control panel: Includes power connector, handbox port and two auxiliary ports for connecting optional equipment.
- Audiostar™ computer-control handbox: Meade’s revolutionary AudioStar computer controller finds and points your telescope to over 30,000 objects in the night sky. With its Astronomer Inside™ digital audio technology, everyone around the telescope can listen and learn about the 500-plus celestial objects contained in its database, including planets, nebulae, star clusters, the Moon and much more.
- Fine-tune tripod adjusters: Quickly and easily level your tripod for optimum pointing accuracy.
- Stainless-steel tripod legs: Two inch diameter legs provide a stable foundation
LX80 Multi-mount - Alternate Modes of Operation
LX80 Atazimuth Mode
The LX80 Multi-mount is rated for 40 pounds of instrument capacity in the simple altazimuth mode. Note that the counterweight is required to offset the weight of the optical tube. Altazimuth mode is preferred for visual use because it eliminates the need to polar align the mount. Also note that eyepiece height varies much less in the altazimuth mode, which is an added plus for the visual observer.
LX80 Dual OTA Mode
The LX80 Multi-mount can handle up to 75 pounds of payload in the dual OTA mode, subject to certain practical considerations. The one telescope must effectively counterbalance the other. Note that the counterweight shaft is sectional, allowing some flexibility in the positioning of the second telescope in order to achieve balance.